The Fraser Arms Hotel, at 1450 Southwest Marine Drive in the Marpole area of Vancouver underwent a major renovation in 2012. The hotel operated for 50 years as a hotel, restaurant, sports pub, nightclub, coffee shop, liquor store, and strip club. It was the site of the first 6-alarm fire in the history of Vancouver (April 24, 1988). In 1991, the Musqueam Indian Band purchased the property located in South Vancouver to prevent renovations to the building that could disturb the land the building sits on, which is part of the the Marpole Midden, (first uncovered in 1884 by a construction crew). The Fraser Arms Hotel strip club closed Jan 30, 2004, reinventing itself as a sports bar. The bar closed permanently in 2011, and after a $2-million dollar renovation, the property has been renamed Luminaire Plaza with only the hotel's liquor store carrying on as Value On Liquor Store. A lot of high quality timber came to our yard as a result of the renovation!
The Fraser Arms just prior to the renovations in 2011.
The Glenrose Cannery in North Delta had to be demolished... the South Fraser Perimeter Road (SFPR) is being constructed, which will connect Delta and Surrey, and the Glenrose site on the Fraser River would no longer be accessible. So instead of just demolition and disposal, we took it apart:
When they renovated BC Place, they used a lot of 12x12 timbers in the process... We got about 100,000BF of wood when the project was over!
These timbers are younger wood than most that we deal with, but they would be perfect for crane mats or swamp pads... no nails or rot.