History of Our Wood
The Western Forest Products mill at 401 Jardine St on Annacis Island (New Westminster, BC) was closed on February 7, 2007. The building was (most likely) originally constructed in the 1950's, after Annacis Island began to industrialize.
Prior to closing, the mill produced an assortment of lumber products of mixed species for the Asian and North American markets, and had the capacity to produce approximately 150 million board feet of lumber per year. Most of the production was moved to the Saltair mill on Vancouver Island that had been indefinitely shut down.
In a recent renovation of the Yale Hotel WRTC acquired some of the timbers out of the hotel.
The Yale Hotel is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Vancouver. Been originally constructed in 1888 and finished in 1889. It was built in association with the construction of the Granville street bridge, and served travelers between Richmond and Vancouver. It is also greatly associated with the development of Yaletown. Providing low-priced accommodation for CPR workers it become known as the center of notorious Yaletown nightlife.
It is a simplified example of Second Empire architecture, which typifies elaborate and monumental appearance of architecture towards the end of the nineteenth century.
To read more click here.
One of Vancouver's heritage landmarks. Built by Dominion Construction in 1918 it is a prime example of early 1900's construction. It is a legacy of the industrial history of the southeast False Creek area.
It was used for making logging equipment and was part of the massive railway yard that networked across False Creek.
To read more. Visit Vancouver Courier
Or visit here to watch a great clip of brief history and future plans for Opsal steel.
The Safeway building at 70th and Granville was a longstanding fixture in Vancouver. Designed by Frank Roy and built in 1966, it was a classic example of the newly refined technology incorporating laminated beams to span large open spaces; these stores stood out with distinctive gull-wing roof forms shaped by graceful arching laminated timber beams. Until recently it was one of the last buildings in the Safeway chain with unaltered roof lines. This building had modernist qualities, indicating the important shift in the suburban consumer from the 1950's into the 1960's, stepping away from the reliance of small local grocers, butchers, and bakers towards the one-stop self serve shopping.
It was formally recognized and listed in the registrar as a Canadian Historic Place in 2008 due to its cultural significance, innovative construction technique, and landmark status.