The Somass Hotel, a historic building in Port Alberni, was deconstructed in 2014.
- 1896 - the Armour Hotel built on trail which would eventually become Argyle St, closed the next year
- 1898 Enlarged & reopened with new owners, renamed New Alberni Hotel, Cottage Annex (Later the Victor Cafe) added
- 1902 renamed the Somass Hotel, rebuilt and new entrance added facing railway station
- 1947 original wooden Somass building destroyed by fire
- 1951 and 1957 renovated again
- 2006 renamed The Rusty Anchor Inn
- 2012 renovated and renamed the Somas Station Inn following a fire in one of the rooms
- 2013 film location for the movie "Insomnia" directed by Christopher Nolan
- 2013 sold to the Uchucklesaht Tribe, set for demolition since the costs for the renovations to make the building seismically safe and usable were too high.
- 2014 deconstruction
There are a few great recaps of the history of the building: